What’s your version of success?
Is it hiking Everest, planning a killer surprise party for your BFF, or making six figures? Is it finally mastering crow pose, finding a job you’re super passionate about, or just being happy?
For me, it was creating a business with the foundation of helping women cultivate the confidence to go after their big dreams.
It took two years for me to get to this point, and although it wasn’t an easy journey, I can finally say that yes, I feel successful. I’m able to pay my bills doing what I love and structure my days around what’s most important to me. Now I’ve made it my mission to help others do the same.
Through the highs and lows of it all, I was able to pinpoint the main reasons many people fail to achieve their dreams. So, before you start going after that next big goal of yours, here are a few things to consider:
10 Things Stopping You From Being Spectacularly Successful
1. Undefined purpose. The number one way to NOT be successful? Don’t have a purpose. Your purpose could be as simple as “make people happy” or as big as “start a self-love revolution.” However, without the clarity of a definite goal in mind, you’ll struggle to stay inspired and make it happen.
2.Accepting mediocrity. Are you really so comfortable that you’re willing to go through life being mediocre? I don’t think so. But the cold, hard truth is that without ambition and the desire for something bigger and better, it is unlikely that you will succeed. Take a stand today and choose to be better than mediocre.
3. Lack of self-discipline. Learning to control yourself and your impulses can be super challenging, I know, but that’s how you actually get things done. For one thing, log out of Facebook and close Twitter. Begin removing other time-sucks from your day. It’s not about making yourself miserable all the time, but it is about learning to do things, even when you’d rather meet the girls for happy hour. There is no substitute for dedication, persistence, and discipline.
4. Procrastination. This is probably the biggest one of all. I know it’s the most popular struggle for my clients. We’re all waiting for the timing to be right and everything to fall perfectly into place, right? But if you want to be successful, start now. Yep, right now. Wherever you are, with whatever you have. It’s okay if you don’t feel ready. You’ll figure it out along the way.
5. Indecision. It’s similar to procrastination, in a way. It’s that never-ending hemming and hawing you do when you’re not quite sure which path to take. Really, it all boils down to fear + self-doubt (which we’ll talk about in a sec.). To be successful, you must learn to be secure enough in yourself to make grounded, strong decisions without feeling like it will bowl you over.
6. Negative outlook. When you’re playing the victim and backing it up with a negative mindset, you’re only sabotaging yourself. Instead of focusing on what’s going wrong, try taking a few minutes to pinpoint the good things in your life. What’s going well for you? What big wins have you had recently? How are you a rock star?
7. Lack of effort. You’ve tried before and it just hasn’t worked out. I get it, I really do, but you’ve got to keep going. I’m not saying you have to become a workaholic, but there’s no such thing as “something for nothing.” So what are you willing to do to make this happen? What are you willing to give?
8. Insufficient knowledge. Do you know what you need to know to make this happen? If we don’t have enough information, or the right kind of education, it’s going to be super hard to be successful. Who can you turn to if you have a question? What books can you read? Where can you learn more?
9. Self-doubt. This often shows up through a lack of action or not getting started. You’re unsure how to take the first step because you don’t even know if you’re capable. A lack of confidence can magnify self-doubt, so begin by asking yourself these two simple questions: How can I make myself proud? What would the ideal version of myself do? Then, do it.
10. Fear. Maybe it’s fear of failure, or fear of criticism, or fear of embarrassment. However fear shows up for you, know this: Fear is really nothing more than a state of mind. Once you understand that, you have the power to change your thoughts, move through your fear, and create your own success.
What’s stopping you from being spectacularly successful?
P.S. Wanna learn 6 more things stopping you from feeling fulfilled, confident, and successful (in business & in life)? I’m hosting a free call on 12/10 and I’d love for you to join us!
[photo credit: mkdooley]