This is one of our Inspirational Interviews in which we talk to people who have imagined big dreams, made them a reality, and are living a life they love. Today we are talking to Jamie, a social media strategist who helps brands craft authentic, magnetic online presences.
1. Tell us a little about yourself!
Hey! My name is Jamie. I help women entrepreneurs rock the internet at Rock Steady Strategy. I also cook a lot of delicious paleo food, marathon way too many tv shows, hang out with Edie (my corgi pup) and live in Chicago.
2. What does living a “super awesome life” look like for you?
Living a super awesome life to me is living a life that I’m excited about. A super awesome life isn’t one size fits all, so creating my own and being proud of everything I do is so important.
3. What inspired you to become a social media strategist?
You know, it happened really organically. I’ve had a personal blog since 2007 and as a blogger, I worked with a lot of brands and companies.
I decided to use my experience and knowledge as a blogger and help companies learn how to work with bloggers the right way. That led to writing and managing social media for others. But I realized what I loved most was coming up with the action plan to help others reach their goals in really creative, fun and easy ways.
4. What has been your biggest challenge since deciding to start your own business and work for yourself?
I’m very much an introvert, so it’s been challenging to step outside of my comfort zone and be in a place where I now have to market my own business. For a long time I’ve been behind the scenes helping others and now I’m a bit more front and center and that’s kind of weird for me!
5. What advice would you give to women who love social media and are interested in turning it into a career?
Keep in mind that working in social media is not just posting updates to social networks. That’s only one tiny part of the job description. Social media is always changing so always measure, track and adjust!
Skype dates with business lady friends, thinking about planning a vacation, Tim Riggins and pink lemonade :)
Mandy Moore because I just love her!
8. What is one thing you’d like to change about the world?
Education and literacy. I was such a big reader as a child and always had my nose in a book and that really helped shape me as a person. I think all children should have that opportunity to learn and go places that only books can take them.
9. What quote best represents you or motivates you in your current place in life?
Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got. – Janis Joplin
10. What inspires you to continue living a life you love each day?
Happy clients, smiling Corgis and amazing friends. Knowing there is just so much more to see and do!
Thanks so much for sharing, Jamie!